Thursday, May 28, 2009

How I Did It by O.J. Simpson...er, Christopher "Bubba" Bollinger

I've received a few requests for the details of my proposal to the most amazing woman in the world: one Tiffany Messick.

When my brother proposed to my sister-in-law by having us spell out "Marry Me, Leesa" in Christmas lights at the park near my parent's house, I decided I wanted to do something like that, but I decided I wanted to say it in flames.
Imagine it: "Will you marry me?" in glorious flames...Unfortunately, that's a little more dangerous and probably a lot less legal, so I decided to go another route. Roger, my roommate and close frat buddy, wanted to help and so they came up with the idea of using rope lights.
Every year my frat (Xi chapter of Sigma Gamma Chi - LDS Insitute) has a formal dance at the Snow Lodge in Deer Valley. There is excellent food, great atmosphere (although this year they had sewer problems so occasionally you'd get a whiff of raw sewage (*sniff* Mmmmm....), and a beautiful balcony overlooking the base of the slope.
Leading up to this I had told Tiffany that the ring would not be done until Monday the 27th. Her sister and sisters-in-law had told her it might be a good setup or ploy, so I played it out and told her I was really sorry it wouldn't be done until then (which would have been true if that had actually been the case).
After dinner and the announcement of next year's Xi officers (congratulations everyone!), I told her we should go to the balcony and get some fresh air (I had told her previously that I had always wanted to make out on the balcony :o) We proceeded to go outside and just in case she was on to me, I got down on one knee and told her I had to tie my shoe. She was totally clueless. Then as we were walking I could some of the lights and she said Roger was following us with his camera so I asked her, "So you were expecting this?"
"Expecting what?"
I took her to the edge of the balcony where you could see the lights and got on one knee, and asked her to marry me!
She kept saying, "You Bum!" for lying to her. I loved it. She was totally clueless!

I was VICTORIOUS! (She said 'Yes!")

I'll try and post the video later...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I thought it might be a ploy...the ring not being ready and all. But Tiffany has so much TRUST in you and believed that you really didn't! So I believed her, and we were all clueless. But that is the best...catching her off guard!

    We're happy to have you part of our family (soon).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to become a part of your family. It makes it so much easier to share time between the two families because I like all of you! All the kids are so cute and fun!

    I'll try and post my side of our story tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! Congrats you two. Your both adorable and I love to see how much in love you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutly LOVE this picture of you guys its classic!!!!

    ReplyDelete