Saturday, May 23, 2009

Jumping the gun a bit....

I'm not quite a Bollinger yet, but I thought I would get into this blogging world. Many have wanted to know the story of how Bubba fell in love with me and how I let it happen, so here goes. As for the creative, cute blog that everyone covets....that has yet to come. (I have no idea how to work this thing!)

My side of the story...

How we met: I was a ward missionary, and he just got called as ward mission leader. He started sending out emails and I was definitely impressed with the man as he pretty much enhanced the missionary program of our student ward. He assigned companions to go and find less actives each week. He arranged a Preach My Gospel class (and asked me to teach) so we could get the ward excited for missionary work. He planned on 15 minute meetings every week to report the efforts of missionary work. He helped us set goals and see what we could do to achieve them. And most importantly, he invited his neighbor Nicole to church. This guy was incredible....

How we started getting to know one another: Nicole is from China. We became fast BFF's (Best Friends Forever). Bubba had a great appreciation for me as I invited Nicole to activities and befriended her at church. I was just thrilled to have a close friend that I could speak Chinese with! Nicole and I even went with Bubba to a New Year's Eve party at the institute.
Nicole started taking the missionary lessons at Bubba's place, and I was honored to be involved as well. I always thought Bubba was a spiritual giant and cute, but also kind of annoying. He always thought I was cute, but wasn't interested in being anything more than just friends.

The turning point: One day at church Bubba had asked me how things were going. I wasn't very enthused and he asked if there was anything he could do to help. I blurted "not unless you have a cure for cancer..." I filled him in on the sufferings of my daddy. His texts became more frequent after this, and eventually pretty bold as he also let me know he wanted to take me out. I was curious as to why now, but not before. He told me that when I mentioned about my dad, he really wanted to help me and be there for me, and then he realized it was more than that. After that, how could I say no to him?

How we got hooked up: He asked me out (not through text, don't worry) and our first official date was Friday, March 6th. We went to a cheap place for dinner, as he eloquently confessed to me (and yes, I ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, which he was happy to pay for) and we went to laughing stock downtown (improv comedy). In the car he played some awesome music and offered to make me a CD. It was an amazing date, to say the least...

How he reeled me in: The next day I was able to spend time with my family and unfortunately witnessed my daddy take his last breath that night (technically Sunday morning). I texted Bubba to let the Bishop and the ward know. He stopped by later that day to give me the CD he made for me. He was quick to let me know he was willing to help with anything and was a perfect friend for me during the hard and busy times of the planning, viewing and funeral. He got to meet the whole family and they definitely adored him. He just kept reeling me in with his charm, whit, and personality (which I didn't find annoying anymore). Nicole got baptized the day after my daddy's funeral, and Bubba and I have been inseparable since. We have spent every day together and have had quite the quick courtship. He was pretty sure pretty fast, and it only took a day or two for me to wake up and realize the man of my dreams was in front of my face.

Now the sappiness: I am seriously the luckiest girl in the world! He is so good for me in many many ways. Not only the spiritual giant as I mentioned before, but also very patient and loving. He has a lot of love to give and I can't believe I'm the recipient of such love. He is very forgiving, which he will need to be (as he is quickly learning the emotions of a woman!). He is extremely understanding and has a way with words to bring me back down to reality. He is quick to make me giggle, and we really have a blast together. Our goals are a lot of the same and we are extremely looking forward to spending the rest of our lives together. It's great news because I am totally marrying up, but have him believing that he is marrying up as well! We will be sealed for time and eternity in Draper Temple on Friday, August 14th.

Oh, and his name is Christopher. When he was a little boy, he tried to say "baby" and it came out as "bubba". The name has stuck ever since!


6 comments:

  1. Cute story. I am so glad you have joined the blogging addiction. We can't wait for you to be an official Bollinger>

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ironic...I never thought of Dad playing a big part in helping you meet the man you were going to marry!

    Adorable...I expect beautiful nieces and nephews from you two (in due time, of course!) Just enjoy planning the wedding for now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I am glad I got to read your story. You two are adorably cute together.....honeymoon in Hawaii perhaps????????? In my dreams. :) I love you and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way cute! Love it....what's bubba's end of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations - the two of you are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I can't wait for some wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete